The U.S. Boy’s Youth National U19 team heads to NorCECA competition in La Habana, Cuba, Wednesday through June 30. The gold and silver medalists from this event will receive bids for the 2017 FIVB U19 World Championships next summer, location TBA. The U.S. is the defending NorCECA U19 champion.
The U.S. squad is led by Princeton men’s coach Sam Shweisky and will have eight days of training before embarking for Cuba.
There’s so many unknowns. Shweisky said. Fortunately, the men’s senior national team went down there a week and a half ago, so they blazed a trail for us and figured out the situation. Figured out to bring extras of everything, and cover the basics.
The team will face Nicaragua, Costa Rica, and the Dominican Republic in pool play. The second pool is composed of Antigua & Barbuda, Cuba, Jamaica and Mexico.
Cuba is always really strong and physical, were expecting a great match there, Shweisky said.
Middle blocker and team captain Kyler Presho, of the 949 club, felt ready despite the brief training schedule.
Right we feel like were going to be as ready as possible by the time we leave. We have enough time to get everything dialed in and ready, Presho said. I think itll be an awesome experience. Itll be great to see a country I probably wouldnt be able to see otherwise. I think itll be great for us and the team.
U.S. Boys Youth National Team
No. Name (Position, Height, Home City, Home State, Home Region)
1. Brandon Browning (OH, 6-4, Corona del Mar, Calif., Southern California)
3. Chris Hall (S, 6-2, Alhambra, Calif., SCVA)
5. Jaylen Jasper (OH, 6-7, Arnold, Md., Chesapeake)
6. Devin Joslyn (OH, 6-5, Angola, N.Y., Western Empire)
7. Sam Lewis (MB, 6-10, Long Beach, Calif., SCVA)
9. Jack Mathews (MB, 6-4, Tustin, Calif., SCVA)
11. Kyle Merchen (S, 6-4, Clovis, Calif., Northern California)
16. Cole Paxson (L, 5-11, Laguna Beach, Calif., SCVA)
18. Kyler Presho (MB, 6-8, San Clemente, Calif., SCVA)
19. J.P. Reilly (OH, 6-4, Manhattan Beach, Calif., SCVA)
20. Sean Ryan (OH, 6-3, Countryside, Ill., Great Lakes)
22. Joel Schneidmiller (OH, 6-6, Saratoga, Calif., NCVA)
4. Eli Irizarry (S, 6-1, Moraga, Calif., NCVA)
10. Chris McBee (OH, 6-4, Rancho Palos Verdes, Calif., SCVA)
13. Thomas Nelson (L, 6-1, San Ramon, Calif., NCVA)
23. Canyon Tuman (MB, 6-7, Sewickley, Pa., Keystone)
Head Coach: Sam Schweisky (Princeton)
Associate Head Coach: Brad Keller (UCLA)
Assistant Coach: Theo Edwards (Cal State Northridge)
Technical Coordinator: Kevin Burch (Ohio State)
Team Manager: Collin Powers (USAV)
Team Doctor: Dr. Priscilla Tu
Schedule for the NORCECA Boys U19 Continental Championship
June 24: USA v Nicaragua
June 25: USA v Costa Rica
June 26: USA v Dominican Republic
June 27: Quarterfinals
June 28: Semifinals and classification matches
June 29: Finals