Phil Dalhausser and Sean Rosenthal picked up their second gold medal of the FIVB season when they overcame the challenge from Latvians Janis Smedins and Aleksandrs Samoilovs.
The American duo won the match 21-19, 21-18. With the victory, Rosenthal earned his second consecutive gold medal in Rome (he and former partner Jake Gibb won it last year).
In the bronze medal match, two Brazilians teams faced off for the chance at mounting the medal stand. But in the end, Bruno Oscar Schmidt and Pedro Solberg Salgado came out on top over countrymen Alison Cerruti and Emanuel Rego.
1. Phil Dalhausser & Sean Rosenthal, USA
2. Aleksandrs Samoilovs & Janis Smedins, Latvia
3. Pedro Solberg & Bruno Oscar Schmidt, Brazil
Jen Kessy and April Ross again fell just short of the gold medal, letting Talita Antunes and Taiana Lima of Brazil sneak by in the third game by only three points. The win earned Talita and Lima their third gold medal of the season.
Liliane Maestrini and Barbara Seixas De Freitas, also of Brazil, took the bronze medal over Germany’s Britta Buthe and Karla Borger.
1. Talita Da Rocha Antunes & Taiana de Souza Lima, Brazil
2. Jen Kessy & April Ross, USA
3. Liliane Maestrini & Barbara Seixas De Freitas, Brazil